Sunday, March 18, 2012

40 Scenes in 40 Days Writing Challenge

I have files and files of ideas, half written stories, and chapter threes. I'm a writer, but my biggest challenge is getting to the end of a book. I've been studying planning plots and crafting scenes, making notes, and now, I've finally fleshed out a plot from beginning to end, scene by scene. I'm ready to write.

How did this panster turn into a plotster? There is a reason we give kids graphic organizers. In order to get from point A to point B, you need to know where point B is located on the map. You need a clear route. I have absolutely no sense of direction. I need directions that say, "Turn left Revision Street. Go three chapters, U-turn around, and take the first right on Editor's Road." I'm lost without directions, so I'm not sure what made me think I was a panster.

You see -a lot of writers "just write". In fact, I recently posted questions about writing scenes on a writer's forum, and got a plenty of "just write" feedback. Some people can find a needle in a haystack. I can't even find the haystack.

So I plotted.

I'm fired up about my plot, so I've decided to challenge myself to write 40 scenes in 40 days. My goal is to finish my draft by April 27, 2012. I will update the blog every few days, and tweet each day using hashtag #40scenes to update you on my progress. Please follow me as I push myself forward on this journey. I'll see you at the end of the tunnel.

Genre: Young Adult Fantasy (with light romantic elements)
Title: Maestro
Blurb (subject to change): Melody joins Reed on a quest to find the maestro's murderer and restore the music to the Kingdom to Tor. Along the way, she discovers that she holds the key to the music realm, and the power to change everything.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I look forward to following your progress. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...